This past week was the first week that we didn't have Friday classes, so a few of us decided a few weeks ago to take a trip to Sevilla for the long weekend. Apparently I had been there before, but had no memory of being there. It was by far the best weekend I've had so far in Spain. I will admit I am in love with Sevilla!
Thursday after our late class, all 8 of us including myself headed to the airport to catch our flight to Sevilla. Getting to the airport from our school was so easy via metro. The metro took us directly to the airport and it only took 20 minutes. The flight to Sevilla from Valencia was only an hour long too. Once we arrived in Sevilla we took a taxi to our hostel from the airport. 2o minutes later we arrived at our nice hostel, we had like a loft of an apartment to ourselves, and the bathroom was bigger than any of ours here in Sevilla. The shower pressure was incredible... oh the things you appreciate in the US.
Friday we awoke around 9, headed to breakfast at the hostel and left for our adventures shortly after. After walking down the famous "los serpientes" we found the cathedral (which is the 3rd largest in the world, next to the Vatican in Rome and another cathedral in London). We waited in line along with a hundred other people to see it, but it was worth waiting in line. I don't think I have ever seen something so magnificent as it. Between the gold altars, Christopher Columbus' tomb, the architecture, artwork and views from the top, it was amazing. We decided to hike up to the top to see what amazing views we would have of the city and we sure did have some awesome views! After we toured the Cathedral we headed to the Indian archives, which apparently is one of the most important buildings in the world. We happen to catch a tour upon our arrival (of course it was in Spanish) but it still helped me understand the importance of this place. It also has 2 of Goya's original paintings so that was cool. Those two places took a while to tour so after the Indian archives we headed to find a famous tapas place which one of my friends had read lots about. We found it and ate some amazing tapas. After lunch we headed to Alcázar (a huge, gorgeous palace). I have no recollection of being in Alcázar last time I was in Sevilla. It was gorgeous, and probably my favorite thing about the city. The gardens were gorgeous and I could've just sat and pondered about life in them all day, except for all of the peacocks that were roaming around. There were also mosaics that were colorful. Ah the place was gorgeous.
After Alcázar we headed to the plaza de torros to buy tickets to the bullfight Saturday night. While in transit we discovered a gorgeous fountain. This fountain not only was gorgeous, but also was the fountain that was in the Bachelorette. You all know my obsession with that show and so I was so happy. Only one of the other girls watched the show too, so she and me appreciated it so much that we decided to reenact one of the scenes. As many of you know Jillian took the last 4 boys to Spain (Kypton, Ed, Reid and Wes). Well Sevilla was where she had her date with Reid and Ed. This fountain was where she and Ed reunited in Spain. Ah! It was so fun to see where this show was filmed. If only Ed and Reid would have been there. Kristin and I were so excited that we decided to reenact the scene where Ed and Jillian reunite. After finding the torros and buying tickets for the bullfight, we headed to get some real gelato at some place that we had read about in many books and the place just happened to be next to our hostel (how lucky is that?) haha! After exploring all day we were exhausted and so we decided to have a wine and cheese party in our loft at the hostel for dinner Friday night. And that was the best decision we made all weekend, not only was it cheap, but it was so much fun hanging out with each other and getting to know each other better. We talked and laughed for hours.
Saturday, we left the hostel around 9:30 AM and headed to Plaza de España. The weather was not good, but the rain did hold off for the most part, which was nice. While in transit we found the Alfonso 13 hotel (which was built for the world fair in the 1920s), an old tobacco facility and a cool market in the park. We finally made it to Plaza de España. The plaza is gorgeous; it is next to the huge park in Sevilla and also has mosaics of all 17 providences of Spain. Funny story... while my friend Jess and I were walking to find a towel in the town; we came across an injured pigeon that decided that it was going to fly right into us. And because of that I am terrified of them now... It almost took my life. Ha!
Saturday night we headed to the Plaza de Torros for the bullfight. None of us knew what to expect, but we were interested to see that most of the people at the bullfights are not tourist; they are in fact Spaniards who are dressed very well. The Spanish men looked so good in their button down polos. Ha! The bullfight was a lot more intense than I expected. I thought it was just a matador versus a bull, but there is a lot more to it than that. And they also kill 6 bulls, yes 6 was a little too much, but luckily it wasn't violent. After the bullfight we had a nice dinner next to the river. We tried to find some flamenco, but couldn't come across any, which is okay because they have some in Valencia.
Sunday, we awoke at 4 AM and headed to the airport. I know it was early, but the nice thing is that we were back in Valencia at 9 AM. So I slept and did homework all day.
Today starts a new week, and other than the weather (forecast is calling for storms all week) I feel like it will be a great week! Will write more later! Enjoy the pictures!
-Mo
1 comments:
What a fun trip! I love the bachelorette reenactment! So jealous! Looks like ya'll had a really good time! Glad that pigeon didn't get you! :)
Post a Comment