Friday, September 4, 2009

Valencia... loves it here

¡Hola! Today marks the first official full day in Spain and it honestly can't get much better than this! I'm falling in love with this place... let me give you a summary of my day.

I woke up early and then my mom and 2 of her grandchildren who are 6 year old twin girls (she has lots and they visit lots and I love that because you all know my obsession with kids) walked to the bus stop. I enjoyed talking to them because it is so much easier to understand spanish from a 6 year old because they speak so simple.
I was excited to see that 4 of my classmates and friends take the same bus to school. Eventually several of us want to walk (it's like a 30 minute walk) but right now we are taking the bus because we do not know our way around the city.
We arrived at school around 9:30 which is super early for the Spainards and had orientation all morning until 2. We got our schedules and took in lots of information... it was kind've overwhelming. We also signed a paper that says we will not speak english in the building. Talk about crazy... I wasn't expecting it, however I know it is the best way to learn.
After school, I rode the bus with my friends and we had no idea which stop to get off so we ventured around the city. We finally found our street (2 of us like right close to each other) but then got mixed up and walked around for another 30 minutes. Needless to say, I'm horrible with directions but it is absolutely necessary to know my way around Valencia as soon as possible!
After I returned home, I ate lunch which consisted of a salad with fresh vegetables and olive oil and baked chicken and fresh fruit. It was delicious! Then my friends and I went to get cell phones which is a necessity here and then walked around the city with the group. I feel so much more connected to everyone now that we all have cell phones.
On our group tour around Valencia we saw lots of gorgeous churches and parks. There is PLENTY to see and I'm so happy I'm here for 4 months so I can see everything around the city! It is gorgeous!
Now it is 12 AM here and I am about to go to bed. Tomorrow we are going to a beach about an hour away from here for the day. I hope it doesn't rain so we can lay out on the beach soon! I will post pictures soon! Keep checking in!
Oh and the communication with mi madre is slowly getting lots better. Today I understood like 10% more than I did yesterday. I feel confident that pretty soon it will become so easy to talk to her (Marite). But I do love her and she is so sweet! Adios! Hasta Luego!

1 comments:

Amy said...

That is awesome she has so many grandchildren! I know you will have a blast playing with them! Hope the day at the beach was fun! I really want to see some pictures soon! I am enjoying a quite evening at home while Kyle is at the South Panola vs. MUS game in Batesville!