Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Starting a new week...

Okay so yesterday (Monday) we had to take a mini test for our professors to know where our spanish stands right now. Needless to say most of us are in the same boat and our spanish is all about the same level, however in the next 4 months we should be completely fluent and MUCH better! Haha! I am already thinking in spanish when I write emails or update my blog... is that bad? The test took about 45 minutes and after that we had the whole day to ourselves. After walking around the city we headed to the beach.

Valencia is located on the Mediterranean sea so it is nice to be so close to the beach, however, Valencia is the 3rd largest city in Spain and therefore it takes a while to get to the beach. Several us hopped onto the metro and had to switch trains but 30 minutes later we arrived a la playa! It is so pretty too! I like it a lot! We went into the ocean and swam for a bit because it is like 98 degrees here plus humidity. When we were headed out of the ocean to lay on the beach we encountered a HUGE jellyfish which made me nervous about going back into the water. But of course after being there from 2 until about 8 PM I of course went in multiple times.

The Beach
The HUGE Jellyfish we found

Today, Tuesday marks the official first day of class... I like that ALL schools in Valencia start on the same day, which is today. Isn't that clever? Anyway many of you have asked so I thought I would post my schedule... I'm taking the following classes:

1. Spanish literary analysis
2. Advanced Grammar and Composition (this is probably going to be a challenge)
3. Advanced Conversation/Cinema
4. Spanish Culture and Civilization
5. Modern Spanish Art

Today I have Spanish Culture and Civilization and Modern Spanish art and then tomorrow I have the other 3. I like my spanish culture class a lot! It's going to be lots of fun. I'll keep you updated about the others.

Over the past few days getting lost has become my new hobby. I am trying so hard to get used to this city and I keep reminding myself that it is so big, so it will take a while. My madre rode the bus with me to school and so I know how to get to school, although she didn't ride one from school back to my house with me. All she told me was to take number 90 and so twice I've taken that bus with my friend Michelle of course and never known when to get off. It is so confusing! I hate using the map and I hate asking for directions, but I guess it's going to take me a while. We have only been here for 6 days.

I'm off to class, last class of the day! ¡Hasta luego! (See you later)




0 comments: