Well friends, I told you I was going to have a fun weekend and I did just that. 6 of us headed of to Barcelona for the weekend after classes Friday.
We left Valencia Friday around 6 PM and arrived in Barcelona around 10 PM via train. Once we arrived in Barcelona we took the metro from the train station to Center Point (our hostel). The hostel was pretty close to everything and right in the middle of the city. It was very nice. Friday night we headed out for tapas and sangria of course and then went out for a bit. Eventually we went to bed because we new Saturday was going to be a full day.
Saturday we awoke, had breakfast in the hostel (no it wasn't my favorite thing, but it was included in our stay). Soon after we left the hostel and headed out to see Barcelona. First on our list to do was to go to La Sagrada Familia. The church that is still ongoing construction that was designed by Guadi. I saw it about 3 years ago and it is amazing to see how much they have progressed on it. We toured the inside and then headed to Guadi's Park, which we thought was nearby, but boy did we not expect what we were getting ourselves into.
After we left La Sagrada Familia, we walked and walked and walked to the Park. Which was also uphill might I add (Barcelona has lots of hills). Eventually we got there and it was so pretty. We hiked to the top of the park where the views were spectacular. We also found some sort of castle off in the distance when we were on top of the mountain... it was a cool find. After walking ALL morning, we were starving so we headed for lunch. We ate lunch in a cafe near the park.
Next on our list was to make it to Las Ramblas. Las Ramblas is a very popular tourist attraction in Barcelona. It is a road that has lots of people who are dressed up as things. It also is very populated with people all the time too, so you have to watch your belongings. There are also lots of flower markets, painters, and pet stores on the street. It is fun to stroll down. We also discovered the Mercado which is on a side street of Las Ramblas. It was so cool to see the market and all of the different foods, I took lots of pictures. I also had some very good gelato at the market too.
After the market, we continued to walk down Las Ramblas and ended up at the beach for a little bit. We took a little break since we had been literally walking for several hours. Next on our list was to see some sort of fountain. It sounded kind've sketchy, but one of my friends saw it on the internet and we decided to check it out and I am so happy we did because it was my FAVORITE thing about the weekend. We finally got to Park Montejuic and sat for an hour and waited for this "fountain show" if you will.
The "fountain show" in itself deserves it's own paragraph. It started at 9:30 PM and was supposed to go to 11. We thought it would be fun for maybe 30 minutes and then we would head to dinner, but we were wrong. As soon as it started I knew it was going to be so sweet! It's so hard to even describe what this was. I am posting a video on YouTube so you will have to watch that. All I can say is it was fountains coreographed show to colors and music. After watching it intensely for an hour, we decided it was time to eat dinner. It's crazy how awesome this thing was, there were thousands of people there too.
Sunday, we woke up early and headed out to see the Olympic park and Park Montejuic. We walked all the way to the beginning by the port and hiked up the mountain and headed towards the city. It was a funfilled day and they buildings where they had the 1992 Olympics are so cool and huge.
Barcelona was so fun and I had such a great time there. It was so great to be in a smaller group of people. I enjoyed every part of it except for the train delay Sunday night causing us to be an hour and a half late to Valencia and arrive at 1:00 AM. Ah! I also think we walked seriously a total of 10 or so miles this weekend. We did not take the metro or bus or taxi ever and we walked all over Barcelona!! Here are just a few glimpses of my trip. Hope you enjoy!
- Mo
Hiking up to the park (with all of our bags too!)
0 comments:
Post a Comment