Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Tragedy Strikes Austin

I have been living in Austin for over 6 weeks. Part of living in Austin and becoming an Austinite is becoming a UT (that's University of Texas NOT Tennessee) fan and cheering on the Longhorns. No I did not go to UT and no I do not attend UT for grad school (unfortunately they don't have my program), but I have become a UT fan and love what the university brings to the city of Austin. UT is one of the things that makes Austin Austin and everyone here supports UT... it's crazy.

Well, yesterday was a sad, sad day here in Austin, Texas and on the campus of UT. As I am sure you are all aware due to the media and quick response that travels with it, of the shooting that occurred on the University's campus yesterday morning. I awoke early, as usual, and turned on what I thought was to be the Today Show, however the local news was on with a big "Breaking News" in the background. I quickly learned that a shooting had occurred in the main library (which happens to be one of the biggest in the country) on the campus of UT (a school with 50,000 students). Sadness and anger began to fill my heart. During those few hours yesterday morning when the campus was put on lockdown and the SWAT team was called in to make sure there was not a second gunman, my heart sank and tears filled my eyes, those poor students. Although I do not have any direct connection with the University, I have become friends with many students and graduates of UT. Thankfully an "all-clear" was given for the campus around lunch time and fortunately there was not a second gunman. There was also not any shots fired directly towards any students and no one was killed or even injured, other than the gunman who took his own life. On a campus with 50,000 students and in one of the country's biggest libraries only one life was lost yesterday. Praise the Lord for the safety of all of the other students that were on campus during that time and especially those in the library. He was definitely present on campus yesterday during that shooting.

While yesterday was a day that will never be forgotten here in Austin, Texas, life moves on. I ask you to pray for the University during this time and that the Lord would use this tragedy to bring His goodness and comfort to the students during this time. Pray that the students would feel peace, comfort, love and safety across campus as they return to a place that was in absolute chaos yesterday. Pray for the family and friends of the student who took his life yesterday morning and that the Lord would bring comfort to them during this difficult time. Our God is so big and He can turn horrific events into something beautiful. Let's pray that He uses this tragedy that occurred yesterday at the University of Texas to bring His goodness and comfort to all that were impacted by the event.

Thanks for reading!
Mo

"I am with you always, to the end of age." Matthew 28:20 (ESV)

0 comments: