Monday, September 20, 2010

Becoming an Austinite

This past Saturday marked 5 weeks of my life here in Austin. In some ways those 35 days have literally flown by and in other ways they have slowly crept by. Thank goodness life is finally starting to pick up and I am getting used to my routine! Here's a little insight into what my week looks like, other than my daily run at Town Lake in the morning.

Monday: I have my favorite class, happens to be just a child life class from 5-7:50 at night. I love this class and I know it will be one of the most beneficial classes of my graduate school career.

Tuesday: I do not have class, however I spend most of the day reading and writing. And on Tuesday nights I have my weekly dinner get together with my good friend Hailey, who I actually worked work crew with at Crooked Creek Ranch (a younglife camp) 5 summers ago and my new friend Lydia, who is from the GA and just graduated from MGSU. She is a full time nanny for a family here in Austin. Strangely enough, one of the guys that Hailey and I worked with back in the day at CCR, Lydia knows and he put us in contact with her. We now have dedicated Tuesday nights to treating ourselves to a dinner and some good community. So far we have made it to Trudy's and Homeslice, who knows where we will end up tomorrow. Yet, another reason I love Tuesdays!

Wednesday: Another "fun" and social day in my life. For my online class we have to do 10 hours of "observations" at the day care facility on campus so I try to knock out as much time as I can stand without getting bored secretly watching 4 year-olds behind a glass wall. Thankfully it is much more entertaining than I thought. In the afternoons, Hailey and I are going to start meeting and taking a walk around Town Lake. I like this because every other day I go run/walk with my iPod, which is nice, but going with a friend is so much more enjoyable. In the evenings I get together with my missional community group. Missional community is what the Austin Stone calls Bible Studies, and luckily my friend Hanna is a missional community leader, so she invited me to join her group. So far I love it! We all meet for about an hour and discuss the week's sermon and application questions. It is a great way to encourage each other and pray for each other. After 2 meetings, I can already tell this is going to be something so beneficial in my life and essential to my walk with the Lord. Just like Matt talked about Sunday, community is key (I will write more of this later).

Thursday: Unfortunately Thursday is what I call my LONG day. I have two classes back to back and so from 3:30 until 8 I am in class. Once again though I like both of my classes and so the time passes by rather quickly. My first class is only an hour long and it is the intro to the graduate program class. There is hardly any outside work involved and it is very beneficial, so I love it. Next is my research class, and let me just tell you I like it so much better than I thought I would. Since I majored in Psychology I have a little bit more knowledge about research than the rest of my classmates... this has definitely made the class less stressful.

Friday: Friday is usually my "day off from school" day. I try my best to sleep in and workout and then I usually spend the afternoon grocery shopping or being lazy. Needless to say I LOVE Fridays!

Saturday: I spend the morning working on my assignments for my online class and then try to do something semi social in the evenings. And of course I watch some college football. Unfortunately the SEC is letting me down especially, my Ole Miss rebels, however I have a new obsession... the Texas Longhorns. And they happen to currently be ranked #4 in the nation so you can find me saying "hook 'em" when the Longhorns play.

Sunday: I LOVE LOVE Sundays for many reasons. Mainly because when the days over my apartment is clean and I have clean clothes. But also because I go to church on Sunday nights. I am literally obsessed with The Austin Stone Community Church here in Austin. Everything about it just makes me so happy and it is because the Lord is so evident in that place: among the 2,000 students worshipping Him, in the message that is given each week, in the worship and songs, etc. I literally get chills every time I attend the service there, it's amazing and I can't get enough of it. It's absolutely incredible and the Lord is so gracious, He is doing some AMAZING things here in Austin! I can't wait to see what He continues to do this year. Side note- last night at the Stone I ran into 2 of the people I did work crew with back in 2006, the same summer as Hailey. I had not seen them in four years and out of all those people last night they were sitting right behind me. Go figure! It was nuts and Hailey was there too so it was like a big work crew reunion! I love Younglife connections and I love how the Lord puts people in your life.

So now that you have an insight into what my typical week looks like, I'm going to post some pictures of my apartment. I completely forgot to do that, and I finally have everything the way I want it so I have some updated pictures to share.

The view from my kitchen

My do it yourself project... I took these pictures this summer and blew them up and framed them to add some decor to the breakfast area.

Mom picked out these chairs, I promise the green is better looking

The dining room table

My living room

The fireplace in the living room

TV area

My bedroom

Another one of my do it yourself projects, I found some precious knobs at Hobby Lobby and added some color to the dresser.
Dresser in my bedroom


My bathroom

Another do it yourself project... these are 2 of my favorite pictures I took in Italy last year! They definitely remind me of how much I miss it!

This is my favorite purchase from iKea and the best part is we didn't have to put it together. Ha!

This is the guest bedroom and my "study" room... so if you ever come visit you have a place to stay!



My "study" area

Hope I didn't bore y'all too much and that I was able to give you a little insight on my life here in Austin. I love it here and the Lord has truly blessed me! I don't think I could be happier! I can already tell it is going to be hard to leave this fun city after graduate school!

-Mo


0 comments: