This past Thursday, January 28th a speaker from Houston, Texas came to speak for "Girl's Night Out" a women's outreach event sponsored by Campus Crusade for Christ. Although I have never read any of Marian Jordan's books (she has written three) I was looking forward to her talk.
Thursday was such an exciting day, as I was grateful for helping advertise the event by passing out flyers on campus. It was so exciting because almost every girl we encountered said "Oh I already have one, I'm coming!" Although, many girls came because someone made them, many left that night with changed hearts.
Somehow or another Panhellenic strongly suggested that every sorority attend, and advising sororities to make this mandatory. Several sororities made it mandatory, while others strongly suggested attendance, but there was a little over 1600 girls there. We were worried that there would only be a few hundred people a few weeks ago and then we were utterly surprised when there were over 1600 girls there.
Although, I was supposed to have my once weekly night spanish class from 5:30-8PM and was worried because I would be missing the majority of Marian's talk and my good friend Callie sharing her testimony, the Lord was already looking after me. About an hour before the event I happened to receive and email (thank God for iPhones) saying my class had been cancelled that night. Thank God, I could now hear my friend Callie and Marian's talk. It's funny how the Lord really does work EVERYTHING out.
Marian Jordan (main speaker and author of Sex and the City Uncovered and 2 others) was your typical Ole Miss type sorority girl in college in Texas. Before she began her walk with the Lord she attempted to fill her emptiness in life with sex, boys, alcohol, etc and many other things that college students face daily. After she decided that this things would not fill her life and would never fill that void, she turned her life over to the Lord and has been telling her story to girls and young women around the world in hopes that her story will encourage them to trust Him. Well Friday night she brought it or more so the Lord brought it. 114 girls prayed to receive the Lord. How awesome is that? It was truly a surreal moment and my heart is SO happy that those girls have found a new hope in our Lord and Savior.
My prayer is that we will contact them and they will continue to see their happiness found in Christ. After the event I, along with Marian, her assistant Lauren, some staff women and friends went to Boure for dinner. It was so nice to get to know her and her story has changed so many lives. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to hear her speak and I am looking forward to reading her books.
Here are a few pictures from the event, so you can have an idea about how many girls were there. Thanks to my friend Amy who actually had her camera with her and took these pictures.
All of us with Marian
That's all for now. Have a great Sunday!
-Mo





0 comments:
Post a Comment