
Today I finished What difference do it make? one of the books on my reading list for 2010. This book was written by Ron Hall and Denver Moore who also wrote Same Kind of Different as Me which is probably my favorite book I've ever read. If you haven't read Same Kind of Different as Me I encourage you to read it first and then read What difference do it make?. Both are amazing books... Same Kind of Different as Me is about a very wealthy man and a homeless black man brought together by a determined woman. I hope you will read it.
I recently heard Ron Hall speak about his life and what has happened in his life since he and Denver published Same Kind of Different as Me and it was at the conference that I heard about his new book What difference do it make? Which is a book he and Denver wrote this past summer about how their lives has changed since 2006 and the publication of Same Kind of Different as me. Not only is it filled with stories about their lives, but it is also full of little miracles that have happened by people who read Same Kind of Different as Me and decided to get involved and make a difference. I really enjoyed reading all of the little small miracles that have changed people's lives.
Funny story... at the conference Ron Hall was saying that one day the publisher called and said he didn't like the name of the second book and while Ron was on the phone with the publisher Denver walked in. Ron said "Denver, they don't like the name of our book." and Denver replied "Well, What difference do it make?" and the publisher overheard this and said that sounds great, the title will be "What difference do it make?" So thank Denver for the clever title.
Here is one of my favorite conversations in the book:
"One day, I asked Mr. Ron, "'Mr. Ron, all these white folks be invitin us to their Bible studies. How come non of 'ems invitin us to their Bible doins?"'
"I ain't saying it ain't all right to study the Bible. You got to study the Bible to know the rules of life. But I notice a lotta folks doin more lookin at the Bible than doin what it says. The book a' James says, don't just listen to what God has to say, do what He says. And Jesus said God is gon' separate us, the sheep from the goats, based on what we did, not on how much we read.""
Here is another conversation between Denver and Mr. Mike:
"Mr. Mike, everybody's lookin for God everywhere on the outside. He ain't in no book, He ain't no preacher and He ain't in nothin or no one on the outside. You got to go inside 'cause that's where God is-in the deepest place inside you. And ain't nobody gon' make God tell you nothin. Ain't nobody gon' have no wisdom 'bout nothin if they thinks they can read 'bout it or hear about it from some man or woman. That got to come from revelation. That got to come from the Holy Spirit inside us, Mr. Mike, and that ain't somethin than can be bargained for. You can't achieve revelation. You can't work for what's free."
I encourage you to read this book as it too was another great book published by Ron and Denver. Apparently they are working on a movie about their story right now... I can't wait until that comes out.
-Mo
0 comments:
Post a Comment