Monday, June 14, 2010

Kelly’s Big Day

My good friend Kelly had her debut this weekend at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, North Carolina. Kelly and her family moved to Macon a few years after we did. They happened to live right down the street from us and ended up joining our church. Kelly went to Stratford and was real involved in YoungLife so we had lots of connections. Our families became really good friends. After graduation from Stratford Kelly’s family moved back up to Asheville where they were originally from. We were so sad to see such good friends go, but Kelly goes to SMU in Dallas so mom gets to see her when she goes to visit Carl and Curry. And I will get to see her some next year… I’m very excited about that! Kelly just finished her freshman year, so she will be in Dallas for at least a few more years.

Mom picked me up Friday in Atlanta and we drove straight to Asheville. We had dinner at the Grove Park Inn with our good friends the Jones’ on the terrace overlooking the sunset. It was a fun dinner, but I was exhausted. Saturday morning mom and I woke up and worked out, showered and then drove around Asheville for a bit. We got all dressed up and headed to the big presentation.

Other than Bon Hommes this was the first debutant ball I had been to… and it was quite different than the way we do it in Macon. We had cocktails and then had a seated dinner. The dinner was delicious other than the appetizer, which was duck. The chocolate cake we had for dessert was my favorite… I don’t think I’ve ever had chocolate cake that good in my life. After dinner the girls all walked out and were presented. There were only 20 girls that were presented, but like Bon Hommes I’m sure it varies every year. After the presentation we danced the night away. It was so much fun and we enjoyed all being there together.

This morning we woke up and had a wonderful breakfast with Kelly, her mom, Betsy and her mom. After breakfast we got to go over to Kelly’s house and see it and hangout until dad finished playing golf. On the way home we stopped at Camp Greystone. We were literally 5 minutes away and my cousin Ceci who recently moved to Ecuador is there right now so mom, dad and I stopped to visit and say hey. As usual I was so happy to pull into those iron gates and smell that camp smell. It was a short visit but we got to hear all about Ecuador for a minute and see Ceci. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see many of my friends, but I’m sure I might be back up there for a visit later on this summer. As always I was so sad to leave that place that I have called home every summer.

Now I am home for a while (thank goodness) and I am catching up on lots of stuff this week and helping with VBS. Hope you’ve enjoyed all of the updates and I will be better about updating I promise.




Betsy and Me




Kelly
Mr. Tom and dad
Me and Kelly
Me, Kelly and Betsy
Kelly and Betsy
Me and Kelly
Mom and Dad
Mom and Mrs. Missy
Mothers and Daughters
Mom, Ceci and Dad at Greystone
Ceci and Me at Camp Greystone

0 comments: