Saturday, May 15, 2010

I really am an Ole Miss Alum

Hey friends (all 10 of you that read my blog)! I apologize for the long delay in blogging. It has been a crazy last few weeks, but now I am relaxing and catching up on sleep at the beach (I'll post about that later). But for now it's all about graduation weekend...

Last Friday I ran around Oxford and finished getting everything ready for the "big" day. Of course the year that I only have 2 exams, one of them has to be on Friday afternoon, better than that it was at 4 PM on Friday... not okay! I went to my spanish exam dressed and ready to go see my parents and make it to a 6 PM dinner reservation at Lenora's. I don't quite remember what all I wrote on that exam, all I know is the teacher said the essay had to be at least 500 words or more and you better believed that when I reached 510 words I decided it was time to turn it in and go meet the family. It's nice going into a final with a solid A in the class, then you don't really have to worry about acing the final. As soon as I got out of my exam my mom, dad and grandmother B arrived into Oxford. I helped them all get settled in their cozy little hotel room at the alumni hotel, picked my friend Amy up and we all headed to a nice, but early dinner at Lenora's. This was my first trip to Lenora's on the square since it is relatively new, but I highly recommend it! Who doesn't love a good glass of an italian wine and homemade pasta. It was such a great night of fellowship and good friend. I am so glad that my good friend and mentor Amy was able to join us! After a great dinner we snagged a few photos and then headed back to the hotel. I opened some fun and exciting graduation presents and then headed out and hung out with a few friends.

B, Me, Mom and Dad outside Lenora's

Me and Amy outside of Lenora's

The "big" day (aka Saturday morning) came way too fast. I woke up bright and early and started getting ready for the special day. For some reason I thought it would be a great idea to wear heels... and if you know me you know that is a bad mistake. I am notorious for falling, well my clumsy self didn't make it too far before falling. While walking through the grove my foot got stuck in a hole and I tripped. Luckily I just ended up with a scrapped knee and I think only my friend Carmen Rae saw the whole thing happen. We met our other liberal arts friends and got in the line together so we could all sit next to each other during commencement. Commencement was held in the Grove and what a gorgeous day it was for graduation. The weather couldn;t have been any more perfect! For the first time in several years it had nit rained the day of and unlike the previous two weekends, this weekend was tornado free. Ray Mabus a former Governor of Mississippi who is now the secretary of the navy was our speaker. He was a great speaker who encouraged all of us and motivated us to do our best in everything our future holds. After commencement I met my really good friends at the big tree in front of the bookstore where we took lots of pictures. After taking a million pictures we headed to Newks to grab a quick bite of lunch and then mom, B and I hit the square to do some shopping in the little time we had. After shopping I headed to actual graduation. The liberal arts graduation was held in the Tad Pad or coliseum. Unfortunately the liberal arts school is the largest, so go figure we had the most graduates. I was number 720 to receive my diploma and that was only with the last name Sullivan. There definitely were at least a thousand graduates. My sweet parents and grandparents sat through the whole thing which was about 2 hours long. Luckily I sat in between two guys that were absolutely hilarious who told jokes during the whole thing. After the graduation ceremony mom, dad, B and I headed to City Grocery to celebrate and eat dinner. Dinner wasn't all that great, but we made up for it with some Yayas afterwards and got some birthday cake yogurt... my new favorite flavor. Later I met up with all of my friends at the baseball game which we won! I have come to love baseball during my years at Ole Miss and the fact that we have had a pretty good team makes it so much better.

Me, Callie, Christie and Carmen Rae before commencement

Commencement in the Grove

Dad, Me and Mom after Commencement

Dad, Me, Mom and B after commencement

Chelsea, Me, Callie, Christie, Meg and Carmen Rae

Chelsea, Me, Callie, Amy, Christie, Meg and Carmen Rae

Me and Amy after commencement

The Three C's and Me... Chelsea, Callie and Christie

Me and Amy again minus the cap and gown

Me, Allison, Elena and Emily

Post Graduation... last undergrad picture in the Grove

Callie, Carmen Rae, Christie, Me and Chelsea at the Baseball game

Me, Christie, our friend Zach and Carmen Rae

Sunday, I couldn't sleep so mom and I went on an early morning walk around campus and the square... tears come to my eyes while I am typing this thinking that my "normal, everyday" walk around the square won't be so normal anymore. I have taken many many many walks around down University Ave and Lamar around the square during my 4 years at Ole Miss. After our walk we showered and then all headed to my home church in Oxford. Within the past two years Grace has meant so much to me and I am so thankful for such a wonderful church. I will definitely miss the church and the people there, all who have meant so much to me and my walk with the Lord. After a quick lunch mom and B headed to the airport and I headed back to my apartment one last time to clean everything and organize it. Sunday was a weird day and I started to soak in everything that had happened in the past 48 hours, but in a way it was too much to take in. Sunday night I went to Old Venice with my good friends Chelsea and Ryan and then went over to Amy and Kyle's house to watch some TV shows.

Monday was a sad sad day and ironically it was raining. Go figure, the day I have to leave Oxford for good and it is pouring down rain! I got up early and met my good friends Chelsea and Amy for breakfast at BBB. Tears come to my eyes again when I think about that day... it seems like just yesterday I was moving into Martin for my freshman year at Ole Miss. I could have never guessed that I would become so attached to Oxford and all the people the Lord has put in my life during my time there. It was so weird leaving a town that has been my home for the past 4 years and not knowing what the future holds (I will blog about that later). Like the rain, I think I cried the ENTIRE 7 hours home. My iPod was on shuffle and I think I had an Oxford memory with every song that came on, which didn't help the tears. I know I will be back ( 3 of my best friends will be there next year), but it just won't be the same. I am SO thankful for the past 4 years I spent in Oxford and I am proud to call it home!

I hope you enjoy all of the pictures and I promise I will update some more soon! Happy weekend!





0 comments: