Last Monday was the first day of my first rotation of my internship. I spent the week before in new employee orientation and in-services (yuck!). My internship will be 16 weeks long and I will be in my first rotation for 7 weeks and my second for 8. Last Monday I had no idea what to expect. I met my supervisor bright and early on the 14th floor of Texas Children's Hospital. I will be spending my first rotation on the Pulmonary, Endocrine, and adolescent medicine floor. Common things seen on this floor are chronic patients, such as those with cystic fibrosis, children waiting a lung transplant, children diagnosed recently with diabetes, and several adolescents with eating disorders. Although I don't know much about any of those diagnosis or populations, I have already learned so much within the past week. I am getting so excited about what the next 6 weeks on the 14th floor have in store for me. So far last week I was able to see several PICC placements, NG tube and NJ tube placements, and a kidney biopsy. I was also able to educated about 10 kiddos on their newly diagnosed diabetes.
Unfortunately, my time here is flying by, but I am loving every minute of it. What a great learning experience it has been and will continue to be. I am so excited about my future career as a child life specialist! Not to mention I am loving living in the 4th largest city in the country and shopping at one of the largest malls in the USA!
Hope you all have a great week!
-Morgan
0 comments:
Post a Comment