Thursday, January 27, 2011

The reality of hell

So this past Sunday I was able to return to my church here in Austin, The Austin Stone Community Church. Since moving to Austin in August I have attended this church and made several friends throughout the church. I have also found a community group out of it and have started volunteering with kidstuff (their children's ministry). I currently keep one of the rooms of the nursery during the 9 AM service on Sunday and I love it! I have the babies that are learning to crawl and crawling so typically they are 8-12 months old. And let me just say they are absolutely adorable!

I have also grown significantly in my walk with Christ and have heard some of the most powerful messages and experienced some of the most intimate worship with Christ here at the stone. I get a weekly update that gives a brief synopsis of the sermon each week and last week the sermon was titled "hell" and was the first part of a serious on Heaven and Hell. So walking into church at 7 on Sunday I knew the sermon was not going to be a fun message, but a very serious one, which it was.

Matt began the sermon by asking the question "why did Jesus have to suffer like He did if there's no hell?" I found this question interesting and very true, I had never thought of it this way. God wouldn't have allowed Jesus to suffer like he did when He was crucified if there's no such thing as hell. He then began by telling us that hell is a real place and in Matthew Jesus makes several references to hell.

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:13-14 ESV

We also see in Matthew what hell will be like... there will be both "weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matt. 13:42; Matt. 22:13). In hell you're going to feel emotion, unbearable pain and intense regret.

After hearing about hell and being reminded that it is real and that the Bible gives us a glimpse as to the unhappy place it will be, Matt asked us how, we as a church respond to a message like this. While that was one of the most difficult and unpleasant sermons I've heard before, it was a very important message. As a Christian it breaks my heart to know that the majority of people will experience that if they don't get the chance to trust in Him. It is very important as believers to spread the Gospel as much as possible and reach the unreached people groups so that they too have the opportunity to trust in our Savior. We also should be constantly praying for those unreached people and that the Lord would provide opportunities for them to become part of His family. It also was a reassuring message to remind me that I've trusted in Christ and have given my life to Him so I will get to celebrate with Him in Heaven, which will be the happiest place ever, happier than I can even imagine.

I encourage you to listen to the sermon as it was very eye opening for me and completely broke my heart for those who don't know Christ. You can find it here. I also encourage you to continue praying for those who have no hope in Him and for opportunities for them to become part of His family. As a Christian I am looking forward to Sunday's message on Heaven! Can't wait to see what I will be a part of one day! I will keep you posted. Happy Thursday, it's almost the weekend!

-Mo

0 comments: