Sunday, October 10, 2010

What a fun weekend!

Last Thursday I had my first graduate school midterm in my hardest class, research! I spent most all last week studying for it and was stressed out since I didn't know how it was going to go. Thankfully my Stratford and Ole Miss education came in handy because it was so easy! I'm pretty sure I aced it which was nice. So glad to have that midterm over with.

Friday I treated myself and went shopping and had some "me" time. It was so fun to get out and just wander around. I found some cute things too. Friday night I laid low and was my typical grandma self going to bed around 10.

Saturday, I got up super early and headed to North Austin to volunteer for HopeFest. HopeFest is an annual event put on by lots of non profit organizations and churches around the city for those people living in a lower income area of Austin. I didn't really know what to expect, but I knew I was providing child care and that my friend Hanna was the volunteer leader for child care. I got there and was greeted by several volunteers and pointed in the direction of the small gym at the high school where I would be for the next several hours. I met my "team" and we set up all of the random toys we had and got ready for the day. Soon after, we were greeted with a sweet 2 year-old boy Andrew who hung out with us for most of the day. He was only one of the many many kids we saw and played with yesterday. It was so fun and lots of the little kids were spanish-speaking so I got to use my spanish and talk with them which was also exciting. After being there all day long, I came home and rested for a bit. I feel like everything went smoothly and I had a great time!

Saturday night my friends Hailey, Lydia and I went to dinner at East Side Cafe. It was great and I had one of the most delicious meals I think I've had in Austin. I will go back. After dinner we decided to go somewhere to get a drink, but the only problem was that it was 8:30 and nothing was happening. So we headed to South Congress and made a stop by "Hey Cupcake" a famous trailer that sells cupcakes. I caved in and got a chocolate frosted cupcake and it was delicious! I'm glad to know I successfully found a cupcake place in Austin since I LOVE cupcakes and everything about them. After our cupcake adventure we still wanted to go somewhere and get a drink so we road around again and everything was still dead, so we just called it a night and headed to bed. I was completely exhausted anyway, so it was good that we didn't get too crazy.

This morning I woke up and went to pick up my sweet friend Carmen Rae, who was in Austin visiting her boyfriend. For those of you who don't know Carmen Rae, she is awesome and we went to Ole Miss together and were both super involved in Crusade. She is now on staff with Crusade at Ole Miss and while at staff training this summer she met her boyfriend who is on staff at UT. What a small world! Luckily she has visited Austin twice since I've been here and I have gotten to see her both times! It was so great to see a familiar face and catch up with a great friend. One of my favorite things about CRae is her heart... she is always so happy and joyful and has such a heart for the Lord. We went to Kerbey Lane for a nice breakfast. Kerbey Lane is a MUST if you are ever in Austin... it is a 24 hour diner and you can get anything there, but their pancakes are my favorite! Today was my 3rd trip there and I am obsessed! After visiting with Carmen Rae I came back home and took a 3 hour nap which was great. Then I decided to be somewhat productive and cleaned and did some much needed laundry. Hailey, Lydia and I all decided to go to the 5PM service at the Austin Stone and because traffic was going to be a nightmare due to ACL we all decided to ride together. I picked them both up and we made it to church. Church was once again amazing and we had communion tonight, which is always good. After church we randomly decided to grab some dinner and ended up at this AMAZING sushi place called How Do You Roll... It's like a create your own sushi bar and the best thing about it is it is super cheap. I think Lydia and I were obsessed... Hailey not so much, but she is not a sushi lover. Needless to say I will make another trip there. We then decided to grab some organic fro yo at Tart Frozen Yogurt. Another successful trip.

Let's just say that I ate well this weekend and tried out some fun and exciting places in Austin. And it was so much fun to hangout with such good friends. I am so thankful for Hailey and Lydia and I love that we are all here in Austin. And the best thing about it is that we are all newbies to Austin so we have fun exploring new areas and restaurants. Ha. Such a fun-filled weekend with great friends and I am so sad to see it almost over, but I am thankful for no midterms or important things due this weekend! PTL! Hope y'all had a fun weekend!

-Mo

0 comments: