Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Buongiorno from Italia!

Hola friends or should I say Ciao! Lots has happened in the last few days so I wanted to update you all from Venice, Italy.

Friday, October 9th I left Valencia at 5 AM and headed to the airport via a taxi with my friend Jess. Jessica's flight left about the same time mine did so we decided to share a taxi to the airport since the metro was closed at 5 in the morning. Jess was flying to Madrid to meet her parents for the week and I was headed to Milan to meet mine. We both were excited about seeing our parents and speaking english for once. Ha!

I arrived in Milan in pouring down rain and met the driver who then took me to the hotel in Lake Como where I was meeting my parents. We arrived at the Villa D'este in Lake Como abut 45 minutes later and I was so happy to meet my parents in the lobby of the hotel. The castle looking hotel was gorgeous... bright colors all over and in such a quiet location on the lake. I did not know much about Lake Como, but I did learn that it is in the middle of the Swiss alps (we were only 10 minutes from the Switzerland border) and it is made from all the melted snow that comes off the mountains, it is also in the shape of a man so that was funny too. Friday we took the ferries to various Islands and shopped and walked around. It was gorgeous, however the weather was cold and rainy and as my madre told me I prepared for weather like Valencia (hot and humid) but she was wrong and I quickly realized that I packed all the wrong clothes for the week.

Saturday we had breakfast and headed out to head to a few more cities on the lake. Thank goodness the weather was much much better! We walked around, shopped a little and spent most of our time waiting on ferries to get places, since that is the only way to travel through the lake. Saturday night was a night to remember... Mom, dad and I headed to the top of the mountain and had dinner overlooking the lake and the alps. It was probably the prettiest thing I have ever seen and pictures can't even do justice. Ah! I am in love with Italy! And when I got back to the hotel, I turned on the television and found ESPN in ENGLISH and I also found the Ole Miss vs. Alabama game on live tv! I couldn't have been more excited that I stayed up until 2 AM just to watch the game. Oh the things you appreciate!!

Sunday we left Lake Como around 9 AM and headed to Verona. We stopped in Bergamo: a mid-evil city and it was nice to see the durmo, and see the old buildings, but other than that we quickly realized it wasn't a "must see" in Italy. After leaving Bergamo we headed to Lake Garda which is Italy's largest lake. It was so pretty and we had so much fun walking around the one of the oldest castles there. Next we hit the road to Verona. About an hour later we arrived in Verona which is where we spent Sunday night. After a siesta we headed to dinner and found a restaurant in the main square. I always love sitting outside and people watching.

Monday, we spent the morning in Verona and we had no clue, but most of the places are actually closed on Monday. So this meant that we couldn't see the arena (which is the second largest, first is the coliseum in Rome), however we did get to tour the durmo which is one of the oldest churches in Italy. So that was neat. Monday afternoon we headed to Venice. The drive took no longer than about an hour and it should have taken like two. I think at one point we were going 120 Miles per hour. I have to say that's the fastest I've ever been in a car. I'm glad I wasn't driving! :) We arrived in Venice yesterday, Monday, around 3 and I automatically fell in love with the city. We took a taxi to our hotel, and arrived at the front door to our hotel, which is on the canal. Ah! It is so awesome and even better than the pictures. Mom and I walked around for a little bit and then met dad for dinner in the hotel.

Tuesday, aka today, we woke up early to enjoy a fabulous buffet at the hotel and then meet our guide for a walking tour of the city. With the walking guide we toured St. Mark's Chapel and I don't think I have ever seen a church quite like this one. Even the Vatican in Rome can't compare. This church is huge and is filled with 24 karat gold mosaics on the top that depict the various stories in the Bible. It is funny to think that the church is like 1,000 years old. Wow! It also is where Mark's remains are kept (they were actually stolen from the austrian empire). After the church, we toured the castle of the duchess of Venice. And I have to say it was also incredible! It houses the largest oil painting in the world and has the biggest room in Europe standing up without pillars. It was magnificent. After that we grabbed some lunch and took a taxi boat over to Murano, a small island off of Venice that is famous for it's glass blowing. Upon arrival we were greeted and taken to a store and place where they actually make glass. It was so cool to watch these people making these gorgeous glass vases. They start when they are 15. I know right? After that we headed back and walked around Venice some more. Right now we are about to head to dinner.

I will continue to update you more on our trip. We will be in Venice until Thursday, when we take the train to Florence. I wish I could post pictures, however I forgot my cord from my camera, so you will just have to wait until Sunday when I get back to Valencia. Hope all is well, and I am still saying Hotty Toddy, even after Ole Miss lost to Alabama this weekend!

Ciao from Venice!
-Mo

0 comments: