Monday, June 29, 2009

99 Balloons

Okay, so I know that it is late, I can't sleep and this topic has absolutely nothing to Spain or spanish for that matter, but it has to do with something else that is near and dear to my heart... children. Yes, as many of you know I LOVE children and I want to work with them as soon as I get out of college. I have always had a passion for children, ever since I can remember, and I am so thankful God has given me the opportunity to love them and be around them lots. They never cease to amaze me, and I realized that I wanted to be a ChildLife Specialist my senior year of high school when I listened to a little girl who had leukemia tell me she was not afraid to die and that God would look after her. Wow! What a humbling experience and it definitely made me realize that I am so ungrateful of the things I have. As healthy humans we take for granted so much that life has to offer and it is amazing to see what you can learn from a 4 year old who has been getting chemo since she was born.
Anyway, this past Wednesday while I was getting ready for my interview at the Spanish consulate in Miami, I had the Today Show on. Although, I was not paying attention, I overheard this couple share their story of how Christ gave them life, through their son, Elliot, who lived to be 99 days old. I was so surprised that this amazing story was being shared on the Today show and I watched as tears filled my eyes, this amazing video the dad put together for the 99 days Elliot was alive. Although I do not know Elliot, or this family, I think their story is amazing... it is really cool to see how this family knew their son would eventually die, but they lived everyday to the fullest, not having any regrets. Eventually Elliot died, shortly after he celebrated his 3 month birthday. This is an incredible story of how the Lord worked in this family's life... Even through the worst of times in our lives, the Lord is right under us catching us when we fall.
The other day my friend Amy was telling me how she had heard someone compare God's love for us and Eagles. Apparently when baby eagles first fly, the mother hoovers right under the nests ready to catch them if they don't fly as she gently nudges them off the nest... The Lord does the same for us, He is always right under us ready to catch us when we fall in life. He definitely caught this family and helped them use their heartache to show how the Lord worked in their life. I encourage you to check out Elliot's blog: http://mattandginny.blogspot.com/
and check out the video on youtube titled "99 balloons"
I hope you will find this story as encouraging as I did. It is such a good reminder that even through the valley, God is standing right underneath us when we fall.

0 comments: